When I’m not writing stories, I like to write more serious things. Here is a list of a couple of them.
- Thorpe, J (Forthcoming 2017) “South Africa” in Women’s Lives Around the World: A Global Encyclopedia. Oregon State University, USA.
- Thorpe, J (Forthcoming 2017) “First They Came for the Homosexuals” to be published in Women, Gender and Sexualities: An Anthology. Temple University, USA.
- The Shukumisa Campaign (2016) Monitoring the implementation of the Sexual Offences Legislation and Policies: Findings of the monitoring conducted in 2013/14. (editor)
- Abrahams, K, Levendale, C, Matthews, T, Mogorosi, T, and Thorpe, J (2015) Manual: Mainstreaming Gender, Children, and Disability Rights. Cape Town, Research Unit and Committees Section: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa.
- Thorpe, J, Wakefield, L and Watson, J (2014) Costing gender-based violence: An analysis of some of the service delivery-related costs. Cape Town, Research Unit: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa.
- Thorpe, J, Nesbitt, G, Whittle, P and Mbadlanyana, T (2014) Gender-based violence (2009 – mid 2014): A review of the work of selected Committees of the Fourth Parliament. Cape Town, Research Unit: Parliament of the Republic of South Africa.
- The Shukumisa Campaign (2012) Monitoring the implementation of sexual offences legislation and policies: Findings of the Monitoring Conducted in 2011/12. Johannesburg and Cape Town, The Shukumisa Campaign.
- Tshwaranang Legal Advocacy Centre and Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust (2011) Monitoring the implementation of sexual offences legislation and policy: Findings from the Shukumisa Campaign monitoring conducted during the 16 Days of Activism, 2010. Report produced on behalf of the Shukumisa Campaign.
- Dey, K, Tilley, A, Thorpe, J, and Williams, J (2011). The Road To Justice: A Feasibility Study on Victim Empowerment Legislation in South Africa. Cape Town, Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust, ODAC, and the Women’s Legal Centre.
- Hodes, R, Thorpe, J, and Stern, O (2011) Structure and Agency in the Politics of a Women’s Rights Coalition in South Africa: The Making of the South African Sexual Offences Act, 2007. Development Leadership Program.